Do You Have Bad Electrical Work? Here Are 3 Signs You Have Faulty Electric Wiring

Electricity has always been there. It’s a force of nature. Benjamin Franklin discovered it in 1752 with his famous kite experiment and lightning.

But it wasn’t until Thomas Edison invented the light bulb in 1879 that we started learning how to harness its power and use it to improve our lives. Now, most Americans don’t know what to do with themselves if the power goes out for even just a few hours.

When electrical wiring works, it’s awesome! When it doesn’t, it can be dangerous by causing injury or starting a fire.

So how do you know when you have bad electrical work that should be fixed? Read on for 3 signs that will tell you.

1. Flickering Lights

You could be in a horror movie or you could just have bad wiring in your house. Most likely, the latter is the case. This is especially true if it is a house-wide problem. If only one lamp or light seems to have a problem it’s more likely there is something wrong with the lamp itself (or that one electrical socket).

You may also notice that your lights dim when you use certain appliances like the microwave. This happens a lot in older houses because when the house was built the electrical demands were less hefty than they are today. That old wiring is having a hard time keeping up.

This is a serious electrical problem waiting to happen. Your best bet is to be preventative and call an experienced electrician to inspect your wiring before something unwanted happens.

2. Buzzing Lights or Appliances

Can you hear light? No, and you shouldn’t be able to hear electricity either. The lights in your home aren’t bug zappers and shouldn’t sound like them.

However, bad lights or fixtures can create a noticeable buzzing noise. You may also feel a slight shock or vibration when turning on the appliance or light.

A loose prong or outlet may be all that is to blame. In more severe cases, however, it could be frayed wires that will need to be replaced.

3. Hot Outlets

Electricity can be used to generate heat for cooking and to keep you warm. However, electrical outlets shouldn’t be generating heat willy-nilly. An outlet that gets hot to the touch is a sign of a serious electrical problem. If left untended it could cause a fire.

To determine whether the problem is your appliance or the outlet, try plugging the appliance into a different outlet. If the new outlet also grows hot, there may be a problem with the appliance.

Conversely, if an outlet heats up without anything plugged in, you can be sure it’s time to call in the professionals.

Don’t Let Bad Electrical Work Ruin Your Day

Though it may feel inconvenient you don’t want to ignore bad electrical work. Faulty wiring can destroy an expensive appliance like a computer or washing machine. This, of course, will cost you far more than if you had addressed the problem when you first noticed it.

If you notice any of these signs of bad electrical work, feel free to give us a call right away. We’ll be happy to inspect your system and get it in top-notch working condition once again.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *